Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:12:11 -0700
on 5/23/02 2:44 AM, Tom Scales at tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Oh I know that.  My only point was that there are good ways to get
> significant digital content when starting with film -- more than any 35mm
> form factor body is going to have for years to come.
>
> As the owner of a good digicam capable of 5 megapixels (E-20) and the
> scanner, the difference isn't small -- it's enormous.  The E-20 produces
> beautiful prints, no question, but comparing them to the scanned image is
> the difference between a disposable camera and our beloved OMs.
>
> Tom

That was my decision too... I bought the SprintScan 4000 because for the
cost (~$549 with rebate) it was much more image information that any digital
camera available. I figure it gets me about 3X the digital information of a
6MP camera, and I don't expect the digital cameras to catch up at that cost
range for several years.

Even allowing for the computer upgrades I had to make to use the 4000dpi
files, adding memory, I still have a '15-megapixel+' quality image for the
cost of a 3- or 4-megapixel camera. Plus I get to use my OM's and lenses for
taking the pictures!
--

Jim Brokaw