Re: [OM] Did I get burned on the evil one?

Subject: Re: [OM] Did I get burned on the evil one?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 15:03:35 -0700
on 5/23/02 6:11 AM, Grigorov, Boris at BGrigorov@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear fellow Limpus Lust (do not remember who came up with that..)
> subscribers,
> What do you think to the response of an evilbay seller when I pointed out
> that the lens' blades are oily?

snipped a bit...

> Here is the whole story:
> I recently decided to add in addition to my OM1 MD and OM PC a cheap medium
> format TLR.  To his credit, when the camera arrived, there wasn't any oil on
> the blades and now only the edge of one blade is oily (but getting bigger).
> How bad is this?
> I have the same issue with my two Zuiko 50/1.8:
> When you set the focus ring to the infinity, the image in the viewfinder is
> not exactly the sharpest, if I back just a little ( 1 mm the most) the
> infinity is fully focused.  Has never been a problem for me, but should I be
> conserned? The f stops do not click, can anyone confirm that?  The camera is
> Yashica D with the Tessar copy lens (Yashinon).
> I do not know what his definition for CLA is, but the camera came a little
> dusty.  He seems to have a good reputation on evilbay, but is this an
> exception? What do you think, how bad is it?  What would the appropriate
> answer should be?
> If curious, here is the link to the auction:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1349600290
>

> Thank you very much
>

> Boris N. Grigorov
> Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation
> Black Hawk
> Mail Stop: S340A
> 6900 Main Street
> P.O.Box 9729
> Stratford,CT 06615-9129
> Tel: 203.386.4796
> Fax: 203.386.3045
> Website: http://www.sikorsky.com/

Boris -- oil on the aperture blades of a TLR is not a big deal... the
viewfinder is a separate lens (without any aperture) and the picture-taking
lens doesn't have to stop down and spring back during exposure. So this oil
will never cause any problems with use of the camera. Note that oil on the
blades may be a sign that oil is places where it should not be, which *is* a
problem should the same oil get onto the shutter blades. In the shutter it
will interfere with the operation of the shutter, but oil on the aperture
blades makes no difference to the shutter operation so long as it stays only
on the aperture blades.

His description of the cleaning method is pretty correct also. I use lighter
fluid (naptha) in cleaning shutter and aperture blades, but the "diethyl..."
that he suggests is probably the equivalent.

My suggestion would be that you tell the seller that you believe the
sometime in the future another CLA will be necessary, when the oil affects
the shutter. Ask if he'll give you a partial refund to offset the eventual
cost of this CLA -- how much is up to you.

For CLA of Yashica TLR cameras the 'John Hermanson' of the Yashica TLR is
Mark Hama, I think he has a web site a Google search will point you to him.
I don't know the cost for a CLA on Yashica TLR's, that would be something to
decide how much of a refund to ask for.
--

Jim Brokaw