Re: [OM] Did I get burned on the evil one?

Subject: Re: [OM] Did I get burned on the evil one?
From: P2CON@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 14:45:40 EDT
Hi Boris,
I think you should ask him if he will allow you to test the camera with film
and shoot a couple of rolls thru it to check results. You gave us a little
confusion when you suggest a problem similar to your Zuiko 50's.  The Yashica
has the shutter in between lenses and you did not say whether the oil is
showing up on the shutter blades, or the aperture blades.  In any event the
seller is probably giving you good advice on how to clean it if it is really
causing a problem with the camera functions.  Your description of the problem
with focus at infinity was not clear whether that was with your Zuiko's or
the Yashica.  If it was the Yashica then it is much more of a problem because
the focusing lens must be matched to the taking lens and you have to
determine where the problem lies and adjust accordingly, it could be as
simple as realigning the focusing knob to match the viewfinder image.  The
Yashica TLR's are covered in Tomosy's Book 2 on camera repair at your local
library.
    Tomosy, Thomas
      Camera Maintenance & Repair, Book 2
    ISBN 0-936262-58-3

Finally, the Yashica does not have click stops on the aperture control.  What
you have is a nice 40 year old medium format TLR with the  best lens made by
Yashica.
If you can give it a try, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Regards,
Paul Connet

Boris writes:
<<SNIP>>
<< Here is the whole story:
 I recently decided to add in addition to my OM1 MD and OM PC a cheap medium
 format TLR.  To his credit, when the camera arrived, there wasn't any oil on
 the blades and now only the edge of one blade is oily (but getting bigger).
 How bad is this?
 I have the same issue with my two Zuiko 50/1.8:
 When you set the focus ring to the infinity, the image in the viewfinder is
 not exactly the sharpest, if I back just a little ( 1 mm the most) the
 infinity is fully focused.  Has never been a problem for me, but should I be
 conserned? The f stops do not click, can anyone confirm that?  The camera is
 Yashica D with the Tessar copy lens (Yashinon).
 I do not know what his definition for CLA is, but the camera came a little
 dusty.  He seems to have a good reputation on evilbay, but is this an
 exception? What do you think, how bad is it?  What would the appropriate
 answer should be? >>