Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:27:32 -0700
on 5/21/02 4:23 PM, Richard F. Man at richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> At 11:11 PM 5/21/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>> Has anyone seen the Contax N Digital, or the Ad?  It say's here "FULL FRAME
>> introducing the world's first digital SLR with full size 35mm format
>> (24x36mm) 6 Megapixel CCD"  (from Phillips)
>> Surprisingly, "the CCD is the same size as a 35mm film frame, meaning ther
>> is no change to the focal lenght of any lens you attach " Brilliant, is that
>> what I want? Yes!  Is it technically possible? Obviously! Can I do this with
>> my Zuikos? No!  Thanks a bunch Olympus!
>>
>> Andy Gilbert
>> ..
>
> The initial photos don't seem to be so great, compared to the smaller
> sensors from Nikon and Cannon!
>

> // richard http://www.imagecraft.com

Same number of pixels... doesn't matter how much you spread them out, except
for making the lenses angle of view similar to 35mm film. What I'd want to
see would be a 24mm x 36mm image sensor with 13-megapixels...

Olympus may be on the right track with a 'new range' of cameras, if they
can't get a large image sensor with more pixels, use a smaller
state-of-the-art image sensor (6MP) and then let the camera, lenses, etc be
smaller too. I could see something the size of a Pen FT or a Centurion with
interchangeable lenses, and some zooms like 12mm-84mm/2.0 (equivalent to
21mm to 150mm) because covering a smaller image sensor area allows such.
Check out the lenses that used to be available (for a price...) for 16mm
film cameras. The 16mm film frame was about the size of current image
sensors. Smaller image sensors allow everything else to be smaller... if the
resolution is there I don't care if it is spread over a 24mm x 36mm image
sensor area.

Olympus has clearly indicated that they don't see any way to continue the OM
line into digital. I'm sure they want to make up for blowing the opportunity
to go autofocus OM back in the 1980's. The market requires enough
auto-electro-digitalo-computero- wonder features now that the OM lenses
wouldn't support, that the only logical marketing decision is to abandon
backward compatibility. As a business decision a digital back for the OM
series just doesn't make sense. In 20 years we'll be able to buy the parts
from an electronic surplus shop for $50 and make our own, anyway...
--

Jim Brokaw