Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Back, Again
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 18:21:03 -0500 (CDT)

> It may have been out for a while already, but I tend to not notice
> what is going on in non-Oly photography any more. There are large ads
> in some of the current mags on the news stand for a new Mamiya 645
> with interchangeable backs, 120, 220, or digital. Very cool.
>
> I wonder whether the angle of view is the same between the film backs
> and the digital. That would be a large CCD if not. Perhaps the
> digital back activates a mask in the viewfinder.
>
> Now why couldn't Oly have done something like that for the OM3/4Ti
> till they were able to bring out the perfect digital system camera -
> which they have not done yet.  If the parameters of lenses for film
> and for CCDs are so different(we believe that, right?) they could
> have brought out a digital kit including the back and a zoom from one
> of the IS models in an OM mount. And since none of that is available
> used even some of us might have bought.
>
> Oh well. Sorry to beat a dead horse.
>
> --
> Winsor Crosby
> Long Beach, California

The medium format backs tend to be about 3-3.5cm square format chips.
They are usually used tethered to a computer or storage device in a
studio. There are a variety of features. Some are cooled to reduce
noise. Some are 3-shot using a single B+W sensor and filters. Some
use 3 chips and beam splitters. One uses a 3 color chip and can take
a single shot, or a series of four with the chip being shifted so that
all colors are photographed at the same point. They are usually used
for studio work, and the back alone often runs well into five figures,
though prices are dropping dramatically (like, say, $30k to $10k!)
Be nice to have one someday, especially if they get portable.

Paul