Re: [OM] ( OT ) Customs documents

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OT ) Customs documents
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 18:39:37 -0700
Thomas asked,

 So what would one stand to gain from falsifying customs doccuments?

From where I stand; customs in to New Zealand are supposed to charge
GST (Goods and Services Tax) at the rate of 12.50n all private imports
valued at more than $400NZ (as I understand it - haven't checked lately but
that is what it used to be).

Recently (ie in the last 2 years), I've found them to be quite lax in this and/or
unable to convert Euro & USD into $NZ, so on several imports over $400NZ,
I've been charged GST on only one package. I think it was for a lens for a
Koni-Omega.

They take the value from the stated insured value on the green customs
sticker. So that if it lands here with a stated value less than $400NZ, I save
an extra 12.5% tax.

One count against FedEx is that they do a heap of uncalled-for paper-work
on private imports which the importer then has to pay for; including working
out the GST on items valued at less than $400. And they won't forward /
release the item until the GST is paid. So I will not buy any item where the
seller stipulates using FedEx. On principle that they are money-grabbers and
not doing a good service for their client.

If Customs find my parcel in the NZ-Post system and say duty is payable on
the >$400 value), that's fair cop and I pay (not so willingly). But to have some outfit calculate it on ALL parcels and endeavour to levy it - that's not a runner
for me.

Brian

Haven't some of our Canadian friends have made the same complaint about UPS?
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?