Re: [OM] flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] flashes
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 20:50:20 -0500
At 03:08 PM 5/18/2002 -0700, Marten you wrote:
I've been trying to find some information about the
Vivitar 3500, 3700, 4500, 5600 flash units for my OM
cameras (of course)  If anyone could point to me to a
source for such things like GN and the sort, I'd
really appreciate it.  I have a T-20 (thanks Tom) and
a 3500, both with similar GNs of 20 meters.  I'd like
something more powerful with a zoom head.  Any other
suggestions?

I'm guessing that would be the 4600 (I don't believe Viv made a 4500). That's the one I would recommend. It comes with a zoom head and is as powerful as a T32. The 5600 is similar but has a LCD display which some people think is an unnecessary battery eater. You will need a dedicated module for Olympus if you want TTL, otherwise there is a standard module (and even modules for other brands should work in manual or for flash-auto mode).

Somebody also mentioned Sunpak, and they make some great flashes too, but I prefer to foot of the Vivitar 4600 as it provides a firmer connection with the shoes on the OM-2S and OM-4 than Sunpak's. My Sunpak 433 works best with the detachable shoe cameras (OM-2, etc.). It has a very good zoom head and about 5 different power settings for manual flash, making it extremely convenient for fill flash.

Joel W.