Re: [OM] Re: 250 f/2 (LONG but worth it)

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: 250 f/2 (LONG but worth it)
From: "Richard Allen" <dickallen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 22:14:16 -0400
Zuiks,
This setup can also be accomplished without using a machine shop.

If you go to your "local" plastics house and purchase some "lucite"
(cheaper) or Polycarbonate (expensive), you can produce one of  the lens
supports on your garage
workbench without too much ado.
I think the tools you will need, amount to not much more than a saw or two,
drill motor, drills, maybe a 10-24 tap, a 1/4-20 tap, some silicone rubber
sealer and some wax paper. Oh, maybe a scale, to measure things.
Form a bottom plate to mount the camera at one end with the lens resting on
a cradle at the other end. The cradle is mounted to the bottom plate with
10-24 or 10-32 screws, the camera is secured to the plate using the tripod
mount threaded hole. Before securing all to the cradle and plate, put a bead
of silicone on the lens cradle area, covering the bead with the wax paper.
Now mount the camera and lens on the plate and cradle, letting the weight of
the assembly hold everything in place until the silicone dries. After that,
you can cover the silicone with maybe a piece of velvet or silk for
lubrication when adjusting the lens focus. A velcro strip fastened on one
side of the cradle and wrapped over the top of the lens to fasten on the
latching surface on the other side will definitely dampen out all those
unwanted vibrations.
I recommend a thickness of about 3/4" for the bottom plate and maybe 3/8"
for the cradle plate.
OH! And you will maybe want to put a 1/4-20 threaded hole in the bottom
plate located at the CG of the completely mounted assembly.
That's if you aren't going to be handholding things. :~)

This SHOULD be about 2 hours work. (It says that in my Machinist Handbook,
somewhere).
Should you decide to use black Lucite, you may get "product of the year".
Richard