[OM] How large a print can be made

Subject: [OM] How large a print can be made
From: "Ron Ashford" <Ron.Ashford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 15:00:36 +1200
Hi Zuikos

I have received back some landscapes I shot on Velvia with various Zuiko primes
on a tripod. What is the received opinion on how big these can be printed
before grain (or whatever) starts to take its toll?

I recently read a few articles extolling the virtues of 6 X 4.5 and 6 X 6
(heresy I know) for such shots saying that past 8" X 10" the 35mm was badly
outclassed. Many years ago I shot a lot of 35mm on Tri-X and loved the grain,
texture and contrast at 11" X 14" on grade 3 or 4 paper.

However, I recognize that colour landscapes are a totally different deal to the
photo-journalism I used to do, and different again over the Ansel Adam's type
Black&White I tried and loved back then.

Anyway, what I don't want to do is get enlargements made too large (waste of
$'s and prints). So, what is the collective wisdom of this group?

Many thanks

Ron Ashford
New Zealand
OM-1n w/ 24/2.8, 35/2.8, 200/4