Re: [OM] Introducing myself (long) plus a question

Subject: Re: [OM] Introducing myself (long) plus a question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 12:34:53 -0500
Welcome . . .

At 05:56 5/9/02, Keith Allchin wrote:
Hello everyone.

I have been lurking on this list for a year or so.

Perhaps now that you're out of the closet we'll see a TOPE 1 entry?

I am ashamed to say I have even posted a question or two without introducing myself. So here goes:

I am *trying* to keep to the principle "only buy something when you
have established a need for it" but this Oly list makes that a bit
hard sometimes.

Welcome to Zuikohol . . . . ummmm, hobbyism.

Now that my conscience is clear, to the question:

I "need" a 300/4.5 but the light in the UK is usually poor and I
usually hand-hold so I would probably never use it enough to justify
the 250-350gbp expense.

Hand holding the 300/4.5 is not recommended. Yes, it can be done and I've done it, but don't expect reliable results. It's big, heavy compared to the shorter lenses, and the tripod mount on it is a clue. :-)

The limit hand held is about 200mm; beyond that the magnification level makes it difficult to keep a composition in addition to the camera shake. A tripod or some other, field expedient method for bracing is almost required beyond 200mm.

I have the Vivitar converter mentioned above but the picture quality with the 135 has not been marvellous. Is the Oly 2X sufficiently better to justify 120GBP?

The 2X-A is quite excellent, and can be used with other lenses that don't have protruding rear elements, even though they're not on the "list" of compatible lenses for it. I've used one with a 300/4.5 with decent results.

-- John