RE: [OM] Developing B+W - A Warning

Subject: RE: [OM] Developing B+W - A Warning
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 17:48:24 -0400
At 4:32 PM -0400 5/7/02, Mike Cormier wrote:

A quick survey: How many people out there even use stop? I worked at a newspaper for years & we never even had the stuff. Everyone just developed, fixed immediately, and washed. The head of the photo department also had his own portrait studio & he always used to say "stop bath is for anal retentive A****les".

I've done it both ways & NEVER noticed a difference. Usually used either HC110 or T-max RS developper and Kodak Fast Fixer.

What is everyone else's take on this?

Stop is for people who need to get consistent results without having
someone else whose job is to mix up the chemicals and clean the
darkroom. Going from dev to fixer immediately shortens the life of
your fixer something fierce; using water instead of stop (as I was
taught at one point) doesn't kill quite so much fixer, but it does
mean that you have different effective developing times.

Also, of course, you will have different effects on print life.
I have some stuff I did when young that has faded in interesting
but not really good ways.

Stop just seems the way to go to me.

paul

--