RE: [OM] Going to Japan....

Subject: RE: [OM] Going to Japan....
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 14:12:36 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Olaf,

Again, thanks for a lot of valueable information...

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Olaf Greve wrote:

<SNIP>

> You're welcome! If you want more details on specific things to visit in the
> places I have been, let me know.

<SNIP>

I'll definitely keep that in mind. Prepare to receive (off-list) a long
questionaire :)

<SNIP>

> In either of the two, make sure to at least once go up in one of the
> skyscrapers for getting a grasp of the immense size of Tokyo. The
> skyscrapers in Shinjuku are some 54 stories high, and at least one of them
> was for free; the tallest one in Yokohama is taller, but it's not free.

I will get to stay, at least, 4 days for work in Yokohama. From what I
understand, there is nothing much of any "historical" interrest in
Yokohama, although it as a modern city has a lot of interresting things to
offer. I believe that I will do the skyscrapers there ;) Also, I was told
that some of the views from there might warren bringing the 300/4.5. While
I would love to, it is a big lens...

> > After absorbing a bit of Tokyo,
>
> Yes, well, Tokyo is _so_ big that basically whatever you do there will be of
> interest :)

Yep. I think, though, that I am more of a country-side/nature kinda person
than a "big city" kind (said he, who moved from a suburb of a small city
in Denmark to the heart of Paris, France...). So while I definitely will
go around Tokyo, I do not want to spend the majority of my time there, I
think....

<SNIP>

> nice place to visit. Then, you could push further westbound, to Hiroshima
> and Miyajima island (with the famous floating Torii gate and other sites of
> interest), from there, push further to Nagasaki and get a grasp on the
> history of that city (and perhaps their trade with the Dutch :) ), maybe
> even go as far as Mt. Aso and to the Samurai castle that is located in the
> south of Kyushu.

Well, the problem is that I will be going for work. That implies, among
other things, carrying along a laptop and various work-related items,
easilly filling up one suitcase - and with a weight to go with it. So in
my case, too much mobility would require that I rent a car - something
that I've been strongly reccomended not to do for traffic-reasons.

I was/am planning on setting up camp at a hotel with an in-room safe, and
thus only have to carry the zuik's around (any ideas as to hotels, btw?)

<SNIP>

> > Anyways, I have considred the following camera-setup:
> >
> >     OM2s/p + Winder2 (slides)
> >     OM4 + MD1        (color print)
> >     OM1 + Winder 2   (b/w)
>
> No problem, though I personally think 2 bodies and 1 drive ought to be
> sufficient, but that's just me.

I'm focusing with my left eye through the viewfinder. Using the wind-arm
then annoys me, causing me to move the head. A winder/md is the thing for
me, and I try to have one on each of my bodies.

Also, I do not know what to leave out: bw, slide or color print? I want
them all, so 3 bodies will have to do. Considering that I plan on setting
up camp on a hotel (see above) and do day-tours from there, this may not
be as cumbersome....

> > And the following lenses:
> >
> >     24/2.0
> >     135/2.8
> >     200/4
> >     35-105/3.5-4.5
>
> Good choice, though you may want to add a 50mm prime and a flash(!!!!) in
> there for low light situations, such as museums.

A flash, good idea. As for the 50, I may want to go with the 85/2
instead. The advantage of the above setup is, that all are 55mm thread,
limiting the number of filters I may need to bring. Either a 50 or an 85
will break that pattern. However I agree that the distance from 24 to 135
may be a bit big. Hmm....maybe time to look for that 55/1.2 to stay with
55mm threads... :)

> > Since I may get to photograph in-door (martial arts training is among what
> > I hope to encounter), I may either replace the 135/2.8 with the 85/2 or
> > suplement with the 85/2 to get a little more light. Anyone see anything
> > I've forgotten or anything that might be in excess?
>
> Supplement the 135/2.8 with the 85/2 for this very purpose, also add that
> flash (and/or some really high speed film) in there, or you'll regret it :)

How would you choose if it was either a 50mmish or an 85/2?

> > I'm not sure where to go with films...I'll probably bring Kodakchrome
> > 25's, and probably also Ektachrome 100WS (I've grown to like the WS
> > variation). I guess it should be enough slide-wise. B/w will be PanF, and
> > color print will probably be Provia 160 (possibly VS).
>
> There you go, all slow stuff. While good choices, I cannot stress the
> importance of a flash (and perhaps a light tripod) enough. Suggestion bring
> some Provia as well, the 100 ASA kind can safely be pushed to 400 ASA, and
> the 400 ASA kind can even be pushed as far as 3200 ASA - a remarkable
> characteristic.

Indeed. Trouble is, that I meant "Portra", not "Provia". I have no
experience with Provia atall, so I'll probably choose not to gamble on
this trip: despite the fact that I am sure that Provia is a great film,
I'd rather go with something I know well when I am travelling (and then
spend the summer at home, learning how the Provia fares...)

I'll probably grap a few Portra 800.....and probably a monopod as well.

> > Which brings me to the final issue: any reccomended processing sites in
> > Osaka? It would be fun to get (at least) the prints developed on the spot,
> > however only if it can be done by a reasonably good lab....
>
> No ideas there....

Hmm...I'll just have to look around, then, to see what I can find.

> > That's all ;) Ohh, except that I am still looking for a Zuikoholics
> > Anonymous meeting while in Japan. Are there really no list-members in
> Japan??
>
> Well, William Green used to live there, Tomoko is -I believe- at present in
> Japan (not certain), and there were one or two more list members that are
> located there....

Well, if any list-members in Japan are in the areas I'll be going through,
I'd like to suggest a meeting of Zuikoholics Anonymous. Please sign up
below ;)

Thanks again, Olaf

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)