Re: [OM] Grumpy old guy rant

Subject: Re: [OM] Grumpy old guy rant
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 17:13:28 +0100
Bill Pearce wrote:

> "Scary to think a professional racing photographer didn't understand the
> concepts of manual pre-focusing and thought 10FPS
> was the magic feature that swayed him to buy an E-100RS over an E-10."
>
> Why didn't he just go ahead and asy, "I'm stupid, and I'm lazy, and I don't
> want to learn anything, and I just want to buy something that does my
> thinking for me and takes a lot of pictures in a hurry, and if I could, I'd
> buy a camera that gets itself to the track and takes the pictures and comes
> home and I can sit in front of the TV."
>
> Bill Pearce

As a grumpy young guy I'll agree entirely!  I'm clearly going to
preaching to the converted but the whole wonderbrick thing does annoy
me.  A friend of mine was going to buy a camera when we travelled to
Zambia to see the eclipse last year.  I spent a long while explaining
the virtues of the OM system and why he should not get a modern
autofocus whizzbang nonsense machine, but he bought a C***n EOS thing
because it was lighter.  I laid down a challenge, which was that I'd hit
his camera with mine until we saw which was more durable, but he
declined the offer.  He doesn't even use the autofocus because he
reckons it's too slow, and his slow zoom lenses that came with it give
him endless grief with camera shake.

I also spent some time explaining why he should get slide film instead
of print film, but he ignored me on that one as well.  Consumers, eh?
What have they ever done for us?

Roger