Re: [OM] Grumpy old guy rant

Subject: Re: [OM] Grumpy old guy rant
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 13:53:20 -0700
In a message dated 5/2/2002 Alex Wilson writes:

<< > Why didn't he just go ahead and asy, "I'm stupid, and I'm lazy, and
I don't
> want to learn anything, and I just want to buy something that does my
> thinking for me and takes a lot of pictures in a hurry, and if I could, I'd
> buy a camera that gets itself to the track and takes the pictures and comes
> home and I can sit in front of the TV."

A bit unfair, I think. Perhaps, unlike some, he's not equipment -
obsessed
but uses a camera to produce photographs. What were his photos like ?
After
all, surely its the end product that's important, not the tools used to
make
it. Wouldn't it be interesting if he produced work better than yours? >>

I was very nice and helpful to this guy and bit my tongue on what I
thought and just shared advice on technique. One comment I left out was
his (direct quote here) "I use a high end Can*n AF system and haven't
used manual focus for years." That phrase "high end" really took me a
bit aback and my first impression was "gadget junkie." (But, again, I
was nice and helpful to this person and he thanked me with genuine
appreciation.)

Personally, I could care less if he produces better work than I do. A
whole bunch of racing photographers do, and do so with "wunderbricks."
Big deal. I consider many of them friends, all of them colleagues, and
am friendly with all. All I can do is keep learning, keep refining my
techniques, and keep doing this "my way" and hope that clients
appreciate what I do. Coming off the best gross sales month since
founding my business I gather that some clients are starting to
appreciate it ;-)

You obviously missed the point in my post. Choosing a first digital
camera based on 10fps (E-100RS) vs. image quality (E-10/20) was my
point. It's that blast as many frames as possible and "produce
photographs" on the light box/editing table mentality that draws people
to the wunderbricks. Of course if I were him and already had an
investment in a "high end Can*n system" I would have gotten at least a
D30 (make mine an EOS 1D, thank you).

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com