RE: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 08:02:06 -0800
Yes. I grew up in upstate New York, outside of Schenectady, about 180 miles
north of NYC. Most of the area there was settled originally by the Dutch, in
association with one Arendt Van Curler. Many, many place names (and
surnames!) in the vicinity are of Dutch origin. There are place names like
Voorheesville, Cobleskill, Guilderland, Rotterdam, Wynantskill, Poestenkill,
Beukendaal, Rensselaer and Amsterdam, for example. There are Dutch names
still in common, unofficial use as well, all about the area, and some people
there still call most small streams "kills," which I believe is from the
Dutch also.

---
Scott Gomez