Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")
From: "Bart Kuik" <parlorinventor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 13:23:31 +0200
I believe Australia was called New Holland in earlier times? Maybe New
Zealand is just a inheritance of that. In old Dutch, the 'ee' is written as
'ea', and 'aa' is written as 'ae', so maybe that explains the difference in
writing.
If you see the location of New Zealand in Australia and that of Zeeland
(english : 'Sealand') in The Netherlands, it's quite clear why New Zealand
has gotten its name. But there are more links:

Brooklyn is called after the Dutch city "Breukelen"
Vancouver is called after the Dutch city "Coevorden", which was built by
count Van Coevorden
Harlem is called after the Dutch city of Haarlem
York is a city in England, New York is called after that

And there are much, much more similar links

Bart