RE: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 14:30:17 -0700
Hi,

 To call a Scotsman English is perhaps the direst insult you can make
north of the border.

Yes, I'm very aware of that :)
Some years back when working in Amsterdam, I worked with many Irish people.
Though they are normally extremely witty and wise to pranks (or p*ss-takes
as they call it), it was very easy to get them going by calling them
English. :)
Of course I would not do so until they said I was German or Belgian.
Similarly, the Canadians are having a blast when you call them Americans,
the Spanish really love to be called Portuguese or French (as do the
English, BTW! ;) ), etc. etc.
I think it's typical for the peoples of neighbouring countries to not like
to be confused with their neighbours. Often this will have historical
reasons, and at other times perhaps other reasons exist for this, but it's
something very typical.
I also think that often these peoples don't really have anything against the
peoples they are confused with, but it just seems to tick them off that they
are mistaken for a people they are not...

Not always. I can't think of any nationality that would insult me if someone made a mistake. One of the high points of my first trip to Europe, courtesy of Uncle Sam, was being mistaken on the Spanish Steps in Rome for a Swede by a Swede. Happy I did not look like government issue. Certainly it would not bother me to be taken for a Canadian which is next door. I do not think I am all that unusual. Is it just a result of American isolation because of distance? I wonder.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?