RE: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 09:11:41 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 1 May 2002 10:04, "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>Many excellent elaborations have already been given...
>-Regarding the usage of the words "Holland" vs. "The Netherlands":
> Often it is much easier when abroad to
>simply use the word Holland as more people tend to recognise that. I found
>that especially in Hispanic countries the word "Holanda" is used a lot,

Let me also thank all the people who posted answers to my
original question.  This is indeed an excellent global
community with a vast collection of knowledge.

The name "Holland" is also used in Asia as the name of the
country now known as "The Netherlands".  So I was wondering,
was Holland a separate country originally and is now
"absorbed" into The Netherlands?  If so, when did this
happen?  It probably happened after the 1600's because all
the exploration of the Far East were done by the "Dutch"
from Holland with their world reknown pilots.  [By the way,
to go further off track, why are the people from Holland not
called Hollanders or Hollandians but "Dutch"?]

By the way, the Chinese sweet pea pod is called "Holland pea"
in Chinese, so it must have been introduced into China by
the Hollandians.  So do they eat similar pea pods in Holland?