Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT] Dutch/Danish (was "Solvang")
From: "Bart Kuik" <parlorinventor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 18:48:27 +0200
The Netherlands consist of twelve provinces, from North to South that are
Friesland, Groningen, Drenthe, Overijssel, Gelderland, Flevoland,
Noord-Holland, Zuid-Holland, Utrecht, Noord-Brabant, Zeeland and
Zuid-Limburg.
The two most important ones were Noord(North)- and Zuid(South)-Holland in
the middle-ages, and they still are, with the harbors, much industry, the
big cities, the airports, and so on. In earlier days, Holland was the
gateway to The Netherlands (and the rest of Europe), and the rest of The
Netherlands wasn't important, and I think that is the reason why people
always speak of Holland when they mean The Netherlands.

I'm not really sure where 'Dutch' comes from. We Dutch call the Germans
'Duits', and Germany is 'Duitsland' (Deutschland in German). So I think it's
got someting to do with the German race where Dutch people also belong to,
and Dutch is still a German language. Aaaaaaaaaah I've lost it. Sorry for
that ;)

I'm not a history-expert, I'm just Dutch and remembering the lessons I've
learned in school years and years ago. ;)

Bart