RE: [OM] Help choosing a lens(new)

Subject: RE: [OM] Help choosing a lens(new)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 21:11:27 -0400
Boris asked:
Thanks to all who responded to me.
May be I should rephrase my question about the 70-210 lens.
I am looking to spend between $120 and 150 on a zoom lens (preferably, I
intend to travel).  What would you recommand to buy in this price range.
Are my choices the best (see below..if you have not seen it already)?
What
else would you recommend?
-------------------------------------
I'd buy a Kiron 70-150 f/4 or 80-200 f/4.5.  Great lenses, good macro
capability and dirt cheap on the bay.  Either lens can be had easily for
$50 and $35 if you're lucky.  The 70-150's only come around every few
months.  A nice one just sold the other day for (I think) $32 complete
with case and original, snap-on plastic hood.  If I didn't already have
two of them (and two 80-200's also) I'd have been willing to pay a lot
more than that.  It's my favorite lens.

The 80-200's (actually, I think there are several variants going down to
70mm and as long as 210mm) seem to be on the bay every week.  They're
very common and you wouldn't have to wait long for a good buy.  Most
appear to be in good condition.  The only downside to this lens is that
it's a bit heavy.  But that's compared to the 70-150.  I think it's
about average weight for an 80-200.

The 70-150 has 52mm filter threads, weighs 430 grams and is 105mm long.
The 80-200 has 55mm filter threads, weighs 600 grams and is 135mm long.
Both go down to 1:4 macro.  Kiron also made a 1.5x matched multiplier
for the 70-150. I have one but they're fairly rare.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA