Re: [OM] beginners camera

Subject: Re: [OM] beginners camera
From: "M. Lloyd" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:31:38 -0700 (PDT)
Well you could always send him with an infinity P&S.
They work well and are no brainer... Bit expensive
though if it gets lost or stolen $200 or therebouts.
Pros would be it's small profile and the fact that it
doesn't look expensive. If you were willing a few
pieces of black gaffers tape and at a distance it
would look like a worthless one time use camera

Or get him the scuzziest OM-2(n)/2sp you can find that
still works well and slap a 50/1.8 as well as maybe a
28/2.8 (third party maybe) and 135/3.5 (or third party
135mm that come up often on the evil one) on it. I
wouldn't recommend a 1(n) since it doesn't have auto
and it's tougher to take snapshots. I also think if
you can find one beat up enough people won't want to
steal it since they think they can't get much out of
it. That probably would also run 200-250 or less. Or
an OM 10/20/PC would be even cheaper but less
reliable.

Or get him an IS-30/ IS-50 for a bit more but these
are higher profile and would attract more attention.
They would be great snapshot takers though which allow
greater creative control...

One thing to avoid are giant new wonderbricks that
scream I HAVE MONEY! I STICK OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB! I
also don't recommend long zoom lenses aas they have a
big profile.

This is all my 2 cents.

Mark Lloyd