Re: [OM] beginners camera

Subject: Re: [OM] beginners camera
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:31:45 -0700
on 4/30/02 4:33 PM, Wayne Culberson at waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have mentioned that I have in the past made several trips to Bolivia.
> Well, now it looks like my 19 year old son is going for an 8 week summer
> mission trip, leaving May 20th. He has never taken much interest in cameras.
> But I want to get him something (perferably olympus) that will hopefully
> provide some decent correct exposures. I'm looking for recommendations for a
> camera that might (very good chance) get stolen, that will give decent
> exposures in difficult conditions (read near equator at 9000 - 14,000 ft
> altitudes), with a complete novice. Also, what film should I send? I
> personally like Kodachrome 64, but am thinking maybe he should go with
> something in negative film, and somewhat faster. I'm also concerned about
> the airport xray damage problem. Also, because it is their winter, he will
> be experiencing a little over 12 hours darkness, so needs something with
> built in flash. Also, he will be spending at least 2 weeks in extreme
> conditions with freezing nights and no heat, and extreme!! dust conditions
> (altiplano of Bolivia), so it has to be something that doesn't freeze up in
> dust, and that can keep going battery power wise. Any suggestions?
> Wayne

First I was thinking OM-2, but if it might be stolen I think OM-10 or OM-G
or similar. The film probably a Kodak 200 print film, because of good speed,
latitude, and cheap enough to get a lot, or probably find more there. Then I
was thinking T-20 flash solves the flash problem, and will do TTL with OM-10
(it will, won't it...?) but it wouldn't be built in. Perhaps a 35-70 lens
would be more versatile than a 50/1.8.

But then the part about dust, and cold, and now I'm thinking that maybe
something like a 140 Stylus, or maybe a little less zoom, i.e. 115 Stylus or
the 28-80 Stylus. Only problem I can see there is they use a lithium battery
that might be more difficult to find in Bolivia, but maybe he can carry a
couple spares, which I would recommend in any case. No manual mode either,
but if he's not that into photography it might not make any difference
anyway.

An OM-10 and 50/1.8 and T-20 flash probably wouldn't cost all that much
different than a 140 Stylus, so it could go either way... If he's at all
interested in taking pictures I'd load him up on film, for me this would be
a 'lifetime highlight' opportunity, but then I never go -anyplace- that
interesting... :-(
--

Jim Brokaw