Re: [OM] TOPE 9 Cameras updated

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE 9 Cameras updated
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 21:42:53 -0700
dreammoose wrote:

I took TOPE photos with 18, 21 and 24mm lenses, as well as tele lenses. I like some of the WA shots. I find the problem for TOPE to be one of scale. The WA shots would look great as large prints or projected on a large screen (if they were slides). Ever try taking WA landscapes and then looking at 4x6 prints? I sometimes find myself asking "What was I trying to take a pictures of?" because the landscape features are so small. I find the same problem with WA landscapes on computer monitors, with a limit of 640 pixels on the long dimension and a file size of about 100k, the beauties of the shot disappear into mush. Print the same shot at 11x14 or larger and it can be quite effective.

I've had very much the same experience with some of my panoramic
photos using a Horizon swing-lens camera. They just aren't that
interesting as small prints most of the time, unless there's a
strong geometric component that stands out across the whole field
of view, e.g. <http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/ladywa03.jpg>

By comparison, <http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/kamiak1.jpg>
looks quite boring and dark at ordinary screen sizes -- only when
it's fairly large can you appreciate the texture of the rolling
hills, the differeing textures of fields that have just been
tilled vs. those that are undisturbed, etc. It's stunning printed
10" tall, but that's hard to show on the web.

--
josh@xxxxxxxxx is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>