Re: [OM] TOPE 9 Cameras updated

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE 9 Cameras updated
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:51:46 -0700
I took TOPE photos with 18, 21 and 24mm lenses, as well as tele lenses. I like some of the WA shots. I find the problem for TOPE to be one of scale. The WA shots would look great as large prints or projected on a large screen (if they were slides). Ever try taking WA landscapes and then looking at 4x6 prints? I sometimes find myself asking "What was I trying to take a pictures of?" because the landscape features are so small. I find the same problem with WA landscapes on computer monitors, with a limit of 640 pixels on the long dimension and a file size of about 100k, the beauties of the shot disappear into mush. Print the same shot at 11x14 or larger and it can be quite effective.

Beyond the scale problems, there are perspective issues. The 18 & 21mm lenses, in particular, takes in a much wider angle of view that the human eye can take in (primary vision, not peripheral). A landscape taken with them and printed/viewed at modest size can just look like a photo of a narrower landscape taken with a modest WA or normal lens from further away. Without the scale cues of known landscape features or man made things, the whole width effect is lost.

Teles can produce quite interesting perspective effects for landscapes.

As someone else pointed out, WA is also good for close quarters shots. They are better than teles for landscape shots of my yard.

Just some ramblings from
  Moose

Bruce Hamm wrote:

I´m surprised there isn`t that much use of superwides in this TOPE.

Frieder Faig

I'm very surprised how many of the photos were taken using focal lengths in
the telephoto range.