[OM] You think you've stopped buying Zuikos and..........(Long)

Subject: [OM] You think you've stopped buying Zuikos and..........(Long)
From: "Andy Gilbert" <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:36:15 +0100
Having bought 4 OM bodies and 10 Zuikos, plus loads of accesories  over the
past 6 years or so, I thought that was more or less it.  How wrong could I
be?  In February I was innocently wandering past the window of my favourite
camera shop in Exeter, when a 300/4.5 Zuiko silvernose begged me to buy it.
I resisted of course, but about 200 yards down the road I found myself at a
cash dispenser, & well, you can guess the rest. ;)  The 300 had so caught my
eye I missed the 28/2 & 135/2.8 (also a silvernose!)  alongside.
Fortunately Graham, the salesman can spot a Zuikoholic at 50 paces, so he
brought out these for me to try as well.  I bought the 300 of course.  At
GBP279 it wasn't cheap, but I hadn't ever even seen one before, so I had to
take the opportunity. I couldn't really afford the other two.  However...
  I looked through Gary Reese's lens tests, looked through the archives,
read the e-sif, & 2 things became clear:
    1) I wanted these lenses
    2) I wanted these lenses badly ;)
 The 28/2 it seems is one of the finest Zuikos, & was only GBP99.  I had
paid GBP90 for my 28/2.8, and this one came with a lens hood & is in
excellent condition. Not exactly a Fang, but a good price nonetheless. The
135/2.8 is also superb, is a silvernose, which DOES give  it a sense of
class.  This was also GBP99, still a fair price, so  I decided to trade in
my 28/2.8, 135/3.5 & a 35-70/4 zoom I no longer use.  I phoned the shop at
9.00AM Monday to reserve them, offering to pay the full pice there & then by
credit card!  The woman obviously thought I was quite mad, saying they would
be happy to keep them until the following Saturday, and no money need change
hands.
  A second inspection did little to dull my enthusiasm, of course, and soon
they were mine.  Due to work etc, it was some weeks before I had a real
chance to use them, but on Good Friday I spent all day out in North Devon on
my bike, a Suzuki GS850 going to several favourite locations, and a few new
ones too!  (Suzuki GS850, now theres a SUV, especially when fitted with
Compartment Cases XL!)
  So was it worth it?  Well, yes obviously ;)  The main benefit to me and my
failing eyesight is the brightness of the viewfinder. Even the paltry half
stop difference  of the 135/2.8 makes a noticeable difference to me.  The
28/2 seems very much brighter & sharper, I'm using it a great deal, It's
becoming a favourite lens for whatever reason. The 135, well when I started
photography it was a very popular focal length. A 28/50/135 setup was a
common outfit, so I've always liked 135s.  My 135/3.5 was a favourite,
partly because it was almost a Fang, but I did use it a lot.  I expect I
will continue to use the new one a lot, too.  And as a silvernose, it does
look stunning!  So to the 300.  This I like a lot.  It opens up different
avenues of photograhy I haven't been able to do before properly, such as
motorsports & big scary animals.  It may not get used as much other lenses,
or I may need to make the effort to get out & use it, time will tell.
  Which brings us to yesterday.  I went into town JUST for a haircut,
honest, and there in the window of said favourite camera shop was....an
almost mint OM4Ti!!  At GBP450 it was a reasoable price for the condition,
it came with box, manual & unused ERC so yes, though I really can't afford
it, out came the credit card again.  Also, just before I got my hair cut I
looked in another camera shop, no, no more Zuikos, they had a camera tech in
for one day only,
doing free checks.  I waited patiently while he explained the OM10 sticky
magnet problem to the chap in front. He was a bit put out when I produced
the OM4Ti &explained I had just bought it somewhere else ;)
But, he did test it & pronounced it a good one.  The shutter speeds were
very
accurate, in particular.  I was out with it yesterday afternoon
and it's great, the OM4 really is a wonderful camera.  (My early OM4 has
been in need of repair for a while now.)
     With 5 bodies and now 11 Zuikos, 2 flashes, winder, etc; I think I
shall be using the OM
system until the death of 35mm film or my death, whichever comes first :)
  Finally, any visiting Zuikoholics to Exeter should BEWARE  Devon Camera
Centre, in Princesshay.  Let me know if you're coming & I'll be happy to
steer
you well clear of it!

Andy Gilbert
Exeter