[OM] Should I be considering a new zoom?

Subject: [OM] Should I be considering a new zoom?
From: "Andy Gilbert" <gilbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 18:38:06 +0100
Andrea wrote:

>Saw this lens on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1346535905 and I was
wondering if this would be a better lens than my Cosina made Zuiko
70-210/4.5 to 5.6 ?  I know Sigma makes some good optics, and this lens
seems to be multi-coated.  What do folks think?  Or should I save my pennies
for a REAL Zuiko zoom, perhaps a 35-105 and
>then a 200/4?

Many of us would say go for a Zuiko :)  The 35-105 is a really nice lens.
Look at Joel Wilcox's site at http://members.tripod.com/jdubikins/index.html
to see some excellent shots using it. (In the Autumn in Iowa gallery).  He
convinced me I was right to buy it!  It is quick & easy to use, fairly
compact & for some things it's all you need.  We spent a week in Paris
(France) last year and I  took only my OM2n, the 35-105, a 24/2.8 and a
50/1.4.  The 50/1.4 wasn't used at all, (I took it for it's wide aperture)
the 24/2.8 saw a fair bit of use, but mostly the zoom did the business, & I
brought back some great memories of our time in that magical city.
  The 200/4 is a good lens by the way, but try & get a look at a 300/4.5.
That's a great lens, & would probably be of more use.  Put a 2X
teleconverter on it & you can photograph the moon, something I haven't been
able to do yet, but see John Lind's site. (Have a good look while you're
there, he's an excellent photographer)
  I personally prefer to stick with Zuikos because they're so good, but more
importantly they all operate much the same way so you can just concentrate
on taking pictures. My first camera was a Chinon something or other, to
which I added a motley assortment of lenses of differing makes.  This was a
bit of a nightmare, the aperture control on one went in the opposite
direction to the rest for a start! I like the placement of the aperture ring
at the front, that the Zuiko primes use, unfortunately the zooms have it at
the rear.  These sorts of details can be different using non Zuikos, & to my
mind make taking pictures a chore.  Though I really love the OM system for
itself, I want to be able to concentrate on the photography, not the camera.
Which is why I've no desire for a wonderbrick with all it's lights, levers
buttons & "modes".  I'm quite happy with the OM1, for example,  which has
only 2 modes:
    1) Taking pictures
    2) Not taking pictures
The only thought required here, is when in mode 2), for maximum
enjoyment, please change to mode 1)  ;)

Andy Gilbert
Exeter
Devon