[OM] Long Beach CART Race

Subject: [OM] Long Beach CART Race
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 23:28:25 -0700

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 14:49:26 -0700
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Long Beach CART Race

Mike,
Nice work as always....too bad about the access/credentials fiasco.
I can relate, believe me.

In a message dated 4/18/2002 George S. writes:

<< This is not meant to criticize, I respect and enjoy your work, I
certainly
do, but I get the feeling that the digital shots just don't have that
"snap"
that the film shots do. I do hate to do comparisons on a computer
monitor,
but... The bokeh, color, and saturation all are much better in the film
shots. Digital is improving, and getting closer and closer, but it's not
there just yet. Just my two cents... >>

George,
The biggest difference I see between the film and digital shots is that the film/OM images look sharper to me than the E10 images. I expect this would be resolved by Mike applying a pass of unsharp mask in Photoshop to the E10 images. I don't know if you're out here on the West Coast, but the weather has been pretty sucky the last few days, particularly Sunday and Monday, with lots of heavy, dark clouds. Just look at how the colors look less saturated in some of the landscapes in TOPE 9 look when taken under heavy cloud cover....none of the have the saturation and color they would have in bright sunlight. While the E-10 may or may not provide that *snap* for fast motorsports photography as a film camera, for most aspects of still photography: portraits, landscapes, still lifes, and pretty much anything else, I would have to agree with Mike that digitals are very close with respect to sharpness, color accuracy and fidelity, and saturation right now to 35 mm film-at least for viewing photos as prints. I would say the biggest drawback I have seen to my digital photos is some chromatic aberrations with the lens "wide open". I can't say anything about bokeh as I haven't had enough experience with my digital or others to know how it would compare to the bokeh of the Zuiko 300, for example. But, as Mike has expressed, I have been stunned by the quality of digital camera images I have seen printed on things like an Epson 820 or 1280, to say nothing of a Lightjet.

With that said, I will grant you that *nothing* matches actually looking at a slide with a good loupe.

Actually, I encourage and appreciate criticism when constructive since
it helps me improve. That said, I'm always my own worst critic ;) Thank
you for your kind words. While I always love praise (and the $1500.00 PO
I just got today for usage of four images from an ad agency in Texas
even more), I need constructive criticism too and I really respect the
opinions of everyone here.
<snip>

Lastly, due mostly to laziness, I do no post processing of the digital
files from the E-10. Frankly because I'm not very good at it and don't
have the time. The digital is/was supposed to be a time saving tool
after all. I know from seeing other people's E-10 images that the files
can be enhanced to look much better. I have looked at 11x14 lab
processed prints from the E-10 and Provia F side-by-side and the quality
was *much* closer than I would have thought, so close in fact that I was
stunned. No worries though, nobody is taking away my OMs and my fridge
is stocked with Provia F. NASCAR at CA Speedway here we come next
weekend :) Thank you again George for your constructive reply.

Mike, I always enjoy seeing your race photos. Please give us a heads up when you have the film photos online so I can go look at them as well. Good luck at Nascar at Fontana this weekend. Turns out I will be doing some race photography this weekend as well...a friend who is an illustrator for Drive Magazine has gotten me photo access for the Good Guys Nationals at Sears Point. I have Provia in the fridge ready to go, and will be breaking out the 200, 300, and my testing my "new" 100mm from Mark Lloyd and my "new" OM-2S.

-Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!