Re: [OM] Long Beach CART Race

Subject: Re: [OM] Long Beach CART Race
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:59:35 -0700
Mike,
This is not meant to criticize, I respect and enjoy your work, I cartainly do, but I get the feeling that the digital shots just don't have that "snap" that the film shots do. I do hate to do comparisons on a computer monitor, but... The bokeh, color, and saturation all are much better in the film shots. Digital is improving, and getting closer and closer, but it's not there just yet. Just my two cents...
Best,
George S.

Unless you see side by side examples it is hard to tell. Long Beach, as you can tell from the name, is a coastal city and our May-June overcast kicked in early this year. If you look carefully at the pics there are no shadows. Lack of contrast or "snap" in this case is not due to the equipment. Most of the film shots we saw earlier from Mike were from Texas, I believe, with sunshine. That said, I like film too.

Bokeh is a function of lens design, I believe, and doesn't have to do with pixels or film.

It may be, as digital gets better, that film response to light will be dialed in so that the product looks more like film, as some digital amp manufacturers have dialed in distorted response curves to emulate "tube sound".
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?