Re: [OM] Help with a T32 flash.

Subject: Re: [OM] Help with a T32 flash.
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 16:02:43 -0600
At 09:27 PM 16/04/2002 +0100, Gareth wrote:
>Dear All,
>        Hello, I'm Gareth.

A fine name.  ;-)

> I'm just new to this mailing list but I've
>owned an OM-1n and OM-10 for several years now and love them both! I
>just bought a T32 flash today for 39 pounds. The only problem is there
>are no instructions with it so I really don't know how to use it. I have
>several Olympus OM books at home but home is 280 miles away so I can't
>consult them!
>
>I'm using the T32 on my OM-1n with the No.4 hot shoe. I know I've got to
>set the aperture and flash manually and use a 1/60 or 1/30 exposure, and
>I know that the red LED in the viewfinder flashes when the exposure was
>correct. The only problem is that it doesn't matter what exposure or
>aperture I have set, the LED flashes after a photograph is taken
>regardless and seems to indicate a "correct" exposure at all times.

That's correct, it *seems* to indicate it.  What the flash is actually telling
you is that it produced sufficient light to quench its own exposure circuit,
nothing more.  Since you're using the T32 with an OM-1n, there is no TTL
operation available for the flash -- you have to use it like a straight
reflected-light flash such as a Vivitar 283 or somesuch.  The flash doesn't
"know" that you've been changing the aperture or exposure.

In order to know what aperture you need to set for the shutter speed, you have
to have the correct aperture info from the T32's information panel.  It sounds
like you've already been doing that (you *have* been doing that, haven't you?),
so as long as you set the aperture and the shutter speed per the panel's
recommendations, and the amount of ambient light in your photo-taking situation
is inadequate to properly expose your film by itself, the flash should roughly
compensate.  But remember -- there's no exposure-info linkage between an OM-1n
and a T-32 -- you need an OM-2s, OM-3(T/Ti) or OM-4(T/Ti) for such a linkage to
exist.

As an example, with ASA 200 film and with the lowest-powered "normal auto"
setting, according to the T32's calculation panel, you should set your shutter
speed to 1/60th of a second (that's always, by the way -- no point in going
slower under normal circumstances) and your F-stop to 5.6.  That's it.

Oh, and just for your edification -- the light sensor of the T32 is inside the
"O" of the word "Olympus" emblazoned along the front of the flash.

Enjoy.

Garth