Re: [OM] Slides: Mounted or unmounted for scanning?

Subject: Re: [OM] Slides: Mounted or unmounted for scanning?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:20:27 -0700

If hassling with the negative carrier doesn't bother you then go with that and forget the slide mounts. Flat film stores more compactly than slides, if nothing else. Be aware, however, that you can get bowing from negative strips, though I'm not sure if that's as big an issue there as it is with slides--maybe someone who has worked extensively with both formats will comment--my strips come back to me with little curl almost always. Over time the strips might have a tendency to bow or whatever, however the carrier's design does argue against this being a problem _once you get the film loaded properly_.

With time I've gotten used to the funky negative carrier that comes with the Polaroid (my biggest concern now is the plastic construction--eventually it appears that it will break) and I can now slip in a new strip in no time flat. Usually. Sometimes (not often) it doesn't work right and I need to redo it, which speaks more to my uncoordinated fingers I'd guess and gets mainly back to my original thoughts on the subject, as with slides that's a nonissue--just plop those little buggers into their slots.

Someone else made the point that with negatives you're feeding six frames to the scanner at a time as opposed to a maximum of four with slides, the implication being that the former system offers some real benefit with regards to time I suppose. For me, that benefit is purely potential and practically moot. I rarely have six consecutive frames of negatives that will be used--in fact I know that hasn't happened. I usually bracket my night work, so forget that stuff right away, and shooting in the street is hit and miss at best so even hand-held shots will rarely (if ever) find six winners in a row or even three out of six. (Some users claim to be able to have incredible percentages of "keepers" in every roll, but I don't know that I buy it. I've been shooting as long as most people and my hit rate is around 10%, if not less yet. So, either our standards of acceptability are very far apart or these other people only shoot at a very small fraction of my rate. That might be it, as I don't care about film expenditure, only the final image; I'd gladly burn two or three full rolls of film for one picture I was after.) So, I'd turn around the other fellow's assessment and say that in this area the slide carrier would outshine the negative carrier: it is probable (possible) that you could (would) load four slides you know you want to work with at a time.

Tris