Re: [OM] Konica Impressa 50 [was] Konica Impressa 25

Subject: Re: [OM] Konica Impressa 50 [was] Konica Impressa 25
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 17:28:50 -0500
At 15:02 4/14/02, Charles Sdunek wrote:
Speaking of Konica film, who's used it? I see it for sale but I dont know anyone who has used any.

How does it perform?  how dies it differ from kodak and fuji?

I haven't used it . . . so I cannot remark about its color rendition.

And specifically, what about this konica impressa 25 that's been talked about recently? I'd be interested in hearing some comments from those who have used it.

It's Impressa 50, not 25, and is AFIK it's the sole surviving C-41 still camera color negative film. Extremely fine grained, but not nearly so as Ektar (Royal Gold) 25 was. The other recently departed C-41, ISO < 100, Agfa Ultra, was noted for its very high saturation and extremely fine grain, making it quite unique.

Judging from its MTF curves, which show _above_ 100% through the low-medium lppmm numbers, it should show high apparent sharpness. The human eye and brain perceives apparent "sharpness" (or accutance) from extremely fine, high-contrast edge definition. Diffuse rms granularity only plays a supporting role in accutance. Films with MTF curves that start at 100% and taper off with values under 100 0n the low-medium lppmm numbers, before falling off rapidly at grainularity limits, are typically perceived as having lower sharpness (accutance) than those with over 100% through the medium lppmm numbers.

An example of this is Fuji's Provia 100F and Velvia. Provia 100F has lower diffuse rms granularity (finer grain). OTOH, Velvia's MTF curve is higher in the medium lppmm numbers. In addition, the chart contrast figures for for Provia are 60 and 140 lppmm (1.6:1 and 1000:1 contrast) compared to 80 and 160 lppmm for Velvia. Velvia is perceived as having greater sharpness even though it has a higher diffuse rms granularity. MTF curves tell more about both perceived sharpness (accutance) and resolving power than rms diffuse granularity numbers.

A look at Konica's Impressa 50 data does not give its rms diffuse granularity (I couldn't find it) but its MTF curve and chart contrast figures are more telling. 63 lppmm @ 1.6:1 contrast and 160 lppmm @ 1000:1 contrast. It falls between Provia and Velvia's figures. Based on this (notably the 160lppmm @ 1000:1), and the MTF curve hump over 100% through the middle lppmm numbers, Konica Impressa 50 should exhibit exceptional sharpness (if printed well on ultra high gloss materials suitable to show it). The data sheet for it is here:
  http://www.konica.co.jp/pdfe/IMP50.PDF

-- John

Obviously there are other criteria important about color films: archival life, color rendition, saturation, etc. It depends on how important these are relative to the need for exceptional sharpness in deciding whether to use Impressa 50 or a different film.

-- John