Re: [OM] 180mm f2.8

Subject: Re: [OM] 180mm f2.8
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:15:35 -0700
That really wouldn't work for technical reasons alone. Many of us, and others, use 'sniping' programs that bid in the last few seconds without any bidding before that. A few days ago, Jim Brokaw out bid me on an item that we both sniped. I bid the most that I was willing to pay. He was willing to pay more, so he got it. Seems fair to me.

One reason people snipe is to try to get a better deal. Some buyers who see bids near the end go over theirs will keep bidding up, some kind of auction fever? By bidding at the last second, one avoids getting in a bidding war one might later regret and avoids setting someone else up. If cost is no object, just bid twice what you think it's worth and eBay will automatically keep topping others' bids, including snipes --- unless you run into a 'greater fool' (a technical term used in the economics of pricing).

Moose

Henry Bottjer-BA wrote:

Sorry, perhaps I was off on the question.  I understand how the bidding
process works, but I thought there might be a "gentlemans" agreement here on
the list regarding Oly equipment - offer things to your friends and don't
try to submarine them on e*ay when you know they are bidding on an item.