Re: [OM] 2X teleconverter question

Subject: Re: [OM] 2X teleconverter question
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:14:35 -0600
At 08:18 PM 11/04/2002 -0700, Andrea wrote:

[snip]

>I recently purchased (on evilBay) a 2X teleconverter.  The seller swore up and
>down that it was Olympus, although in his picture it wasn't clear at all.
>So it arrived today, and it appears to be "for Olympus".  Seller's response
>was that he bought it with an Olympus lens, and the salesperson had told him
>it was Olympus.  So my question is, could it have been manufactured by
>Olympus?  The markings on the TC are as follows:
>MC (in green) CPC AUTO Teleconverter 2X for Olympus-OM (in white) and also
>Japan (in white).  There are no other markings on the lens, and the front/back
>caps are generic as is the case.  Considering that I paid $68 + postage, what
>do folks think about this?  Is it a keeper?  Does anyone know what it is?

CPC is a third-party maker of inexpensive, consumer-grade optics.  $68.00 is
*way* too much for it.  On evilBay, I'd pay no more than $15.00 to $20.00 for
it, and could probably get it for less.  It's definitely *not* a genuine Oly
article.  I'd look for a much better third-party 2X, such as the Vivitar Macro
Focusing Teleconverter (which has received *very* favourable reviews, and is
way cheaper than an Oly 2X-A even new; plus you get macro capability thrown in
"for free," as it were).

>  Should I return it?

If the seller will let you, yes.  Best to remind him/her that he/she claimed it
was an "Olympus" brand when in fact it's CPC; such a misrepresentation on
evilBay could be considered fraud, even if unintentional, though I'd try not to
be strident about saying this.  Get the seller to eat the return postage, too.

>  and, does anyone have a real 2X- A they want to part with?

Nope.  Probably never will own one, but I'm still looking for a perfect-optics
version of the 1.4X-A for the Monster Lens.  ;-)

Garth