Re: [OM] 2X teleconverter question

Subject: Re: [OM] 2X teleconverter question
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:54:11 -0700
Oops..... You know about the major third party lens makers like Tokina, Tamron, Vivitar, Kiron, etc. Well, CPC is one of several marketers filling an amorphous void below them (I don't think it's the same CPC (from Corn Products Co.) that makes Karo syrup and such). It's not that their products are necessarily worse than the bigger names. Probably some are just rebranded versions of the lower priced lenses from the bigger names. The problem is that nobody knows anything about their products.

Regarding the telextender, it's probably a run of the mill 4 element one worth about $20. If it's about 1.25 in. long, that's what it is. There are also 7 element versions that were sold under more than a few names, but virtually all look like they came off the same assembly line. They are about 1 7/8 in. long. I haven't been keeping track, but they used to go for $40-60. The Zuiko 2X-A is about the same length and a little bit fatter.

The 4 element ones work, and can take decent pictures if the prime lens is stopped down to f5.6-11, but they aren't anything to write home about. The 7 element ones are noticeable better and actually worth hauling around when you don't have or don't think you'll need a longer lens. Even a picture taken with a 4 element teleconverter is better than missing the picture entirely. The 6 element Zuiko has a good reputation, but I've never used one. Oly had the big advantage of knowing the exact characteristics of the lenses it was designed to match, while other makers had to try to accomodate everything, so it should be the best choice with the lenses it is recommended for. Take a look at Gary's lens tests where he tests Zuiko converters with several lenses.

I used the ubiquitous Vivitar 2X-21 4 element for years many years ago and got some pictures I'm glad I took. My first choice these days is a longer lens. My second choice is the Vivitar Macro Teleconverter, which combines a 7 element converter with helical focusing to both double focal length and allow close focus (to 1:1) with a 50mm lens - a cool thingy. There are other brands that look identical. These come up on eBay occasionally, and go for a wide range of prices, maybe $50-100?

If you paid $68 for a CPC 4 element converter, you paid about 3 times its worth and should pursue a major refund or a return.

Moose

Andrea wrote:

I recently purchased (on evilBay) a 2X teleconverter.  The seller swore up and
down that it was Olympus, although in his picture it wasn't clear at all.
So it arrived today, and it appears to be "for Olympus".  Seller's response was
that he bought it with an Olympus lens, and the salesperson had told him it was Olympus.
So my question is, could it have been manufactured by Olympus?  The markings on the TC
are as follows:
MC (in green) CPC AUTO Teleconverter 2X for Olympus-OM (in white) and also
Japan (in white).  There are no other markings on the lens, and the front/back
caps are generic as is the case.  Considering that I paid $68 + postage, what
do folks think about this?  Is it a keeper?  Does anyone know what it is?
Should I return it?  and, does anyone have a real 2X- A they want to part with?
Thanks in advance,
Andrea