Re: [OM] [OT] Needed: KODAK PROFESSIONAL PRO IMAGE 100 Film

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Needed: KODAK PROFESSIONAL PRO IMAGE 100 Film
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 00:35:10 -0500
At 00:20 4/12/02, you wrote:
Sometimes based on the characteristic curves it is hard to tell, IMO
they are totally different, I have not use one, but many people here
tired the Pro Image 100 when it just came out and praise about it. It
was claimed to be a Portrait film. The Gold 100 is a cheap generally
purpose consumer film only. I don't think Kodak will make such joke
with us.

C.H.Ling

Did you closely compare the the characteristic curves? Try overlaying one set of curves over the other (if you can copy the images out of the PDF). I plotted not only points at which the curve cross the grid lines, but the curve shapes between them also.

The *set* of characteristic curves defines what the resultant image will be on film. How it's printed, the machine(s) used, who does it (machine operator), and the material it's printed on will make a difference in what a *print* resulting from a negative looks like. I know that all too well in having color negatives printed by consumer and pro labs. The curves and other data for these two films track more closely than *any* other pair of consumer and pro films made by Kodak *known* to be the consumer and pro versions (e.g. Elitechrome 100 and E100S).

I wouldn't have asserted their "sameness" otherwise. To me it's undeniable. It's also entirely credible to _me_ that Kodak's marketdroids *would* do exactly this to sell the film to those who *only* buy pro films. The difference between them would be the batch controls (with lot numbers) and "aging" process conducted with pro films so they are shipped at peak, if they're even doing that with this film. It is _definitely_not_ one of the Portra films!

BTW, I didn't think it was sold in the U.S. but only to certain overseas markets.

-- John