Re: [OM] [OT - film] help on slide film

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT - film] help on slide film
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 18:47:36 -0500
At 14:21 4/10/02, Wayne Shumakler wrote (in part):
This has prompted me to consider trying out some Ektachrome 100s and/
or 100vs. I'm used to the EV range and metering for Provia 100f and Velvia.
Can anyone tell me how 100s and 100vs compare to these films on
their exposure latitude. Or any other advice. I want to be able to get
as large a blowup as I can.

Wayne

PS> and I have to figure out what OM equipment to leave behind and what
to take.

Wayne,
I've never encountered any "grainy" issues with having any Fujichrome scanned to a Kodak PhotoCD. They all scan about the same.

Following are my observations several various E-6 films . . .
*No* E-6 has the color accuracy of Kodachrome.
*No* E-6 has the acutance of Kodachrome 25, and
  only Velvia rivals Kodachrome 64 acutance.
Acutance = apparent sharpness

Fuji Velvia (ISO 50):
  High saturation
  Less color accuracy compared to E-6's with less saturation
  Good color gradation; excels with greens
  Average diffuse rms granularity
  Highest acutance (among E-6's)
  Slightly less latitude

Fuji Provia 100F (RDP III):
  Moderate saturation
  Highest color accuracy of the E-6's
  Excellent color gradation
  Finest diffuse rms granularity
  Second only to Velvia in "acutance" (among E-6's)
  Average latitude

Fuji Astia (ISO 100):
  Modest saturation
  Second only to Provia in color accuracy (among E-6's)
  Superb color gradation
  Average diffuse rms granularity
  Close third to Provia 100F in "acutance" (average)
  Slightly greater than average latitude

Kodak E100S (pro version of Elitechrome 100):
  Moderate saturation
  Noticeably less color accuracy than Astia or Provia
  Good color gradation
  Average diffuse rms granularity
  Average acutance (similar to Astia; less than Provia)
  Average latitude

Kodak E100VS (pro version of Elitechrome 100 Extra Color):
  Extremely high saturation
  Poor color accuracy
  Poor color gradation
  Average diffuse rms granularity
  Average acutance
  Less than average latitude

Kodak E100SW (no consumer equivalent):
  Same as E100S with built-in 1B Skylight filter

-- John