Re: [OM] Metz flash and Olympus cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Metz flash and Olympus cameras
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 17:36:57 -0500
Jim,
More (that I forgot about in the first reply):

The 40MZ-2/3i are designed for the SCA 3000 modules and are backward compatible with the SCA 300 modules (as are all the SCA 3000 designs). The SCA 3000 modules are deeper than the SCA 300 modules. I didn't realize this until I bought the 40MZ-3i which fortunately came with the generic SCA 301, and included the small cover strip which takes up the gap left by the difference in depth of the two modules. Do not fear, an SCA 300 module cannot slide in to far, but without the strip, there will be a thin uncovered gap showing on the underside of the flash. If yours does not come with this strip (it doesn't slide out, but pops out if you pull on it) you can get a replacement directly from Metz (available through www.bogenphoto.com service department, the U.S. distributor of Metz).

Be aware though, if you get an SCA 3000/3200 series module for a different camera (e.g. E-10), or a G16 flash handle, you will have to pop the strip out to slide the flash onto it. If you do this with reasonable care, you can pop it back in again. The G16 is how I discovered the depth dimension difference between SCA 300 and SCA 3000/3200 modules. Couldn't figure out why the 40MZ-3i would not slide all the way onto the handle until I looked at it closely.

The flash will work just fine in "Normal Auto" and "TTL Auto" with the bounce panel that slides in behind the head when it's tilted upward. The "soft box" accessory that slides over the front of the head (without tilting it) works fine in TTL Auto, but stray light from the protruding box gets into the flash sensor of you use it in "Normal Auto" (resulting in gross underexposure).

Now that I've mentioned the idiosyncracies, one of the very nice features is the secondary "fill" tube that can be activated if you use the main head for bounce.

-- John