Re: [OM] Re: Flashmatic -was: Oly digest V2 #3283

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Flashmatic -was: Oly digest V2 #3283
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 12:56:12 -0700
I seem to recall that Nikon had a lens for the 'F' series that included flashmatic capability, maybe a 45mm, small in any case. Seemed like a good idea 30+ years ago, but I switched to an OM-1 and later added an OM-2n with T32 for TTL.

Moose

Paul Farrar wrote:

I recently bought a 35-SP which has "guide-number flash" settings on the
lens. I wanted to see how this works, so I set the lens for a guide number
(~60 in feet) and then opened the back of the camera. As you move the focus
lever from infinity to closer, the lens aperture closes down, which you can
see from the open camera back. Pretty cool, and allows use of non-automatic
flash with this camera. I think several of the old Olympus leaf-shutter
rangefinders had such a system.

Some things I have read suggest that this is a more accurate flash system
than the flash auto-sensor, as it won't be fooled by a light subject and
dark background and overexpose the subject trying to make the background
lighter when you focus on the subject. That can even happen using TTL
flash... I'll have to try it out and see.