Re: [OM] Wide Range Zooms - any good ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide Range Zooms - any good ?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:35:12 -0400
> Steve;
>
> The lenses already mentioned are great lenses.  But, even the less costly
of
> the two could easily top out at a little beyond $200, and the 35-80 could
> break the cookie jar to the tune of something approaching $1k.  Reading
your
> description of what you're after leaves me believing this is probably not
> realistic alternative for you.
>
> I think the long range zooms you originally mentioned are not a great
option
> for you either.  While the thought of being able to cover everything from
> 28mm to 200 or more is appealing, the optical performance is, generally
> speaking, rather poor.   Something in the 28-80 or 35-70 range is
available
> in third party lenses with quite admirable performance, without having to
> pay the Zuiko price.  I think you could find something in this range, in
> good condition, for under $50 if you shop.
>
> Just my 0.02 worth, and forgive me if I'm incorrect in my assessment of
your
> situation.
> Jim

Another 2 cents cdn. worth:  If I were trying to catch fast critters, I'd go
for a one touch zoom, not a 2 touch. I'm trying to convert myself over to
using an ATX, which is 2 touch, but boy, do I miss the old vivitar one
touch.
Both are 28-80(85). Vivitar is much nicer to use. Or else I just got too
used to it maybe.
Wayne