RE: [OM] Wide Range Zooms - any good ?

Subject: RE: [OM] Wide Range Zooms - any good ?
From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:19:18 -0800
Steve;

The lenses already mentioned are great lenses.  But, even the less costly of
the two could easily top out at a little beyond $200, and the 35-80 could
break the cookie jar to the tune of something approaching $1k.  Reading your
description of what you're after leaves me believing this is probably not a
realistic alternative for you.

I think the long range zooms you originally mentioned are not a great option
for you either.  While the thought of being able to cover everything from
28mm to 200 or more is appealing, the optical performance is, generally
speaking, rather poor.   Something in the 28-80 or 35-70 range is available
in third party lenses with quite admirable performance, without having to
pay the Zuiko price.  I think you could find something in this range, in
good condition, for under $50 if you shop.

Just my 0.02 worth, and forgive me if I'm incorrect in my assessment of your
situation.
Jim