Re: [OM] Wide Range Zooms - any good ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Wide Range Zooms - any good ?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:19:41 -0400
> P.S. Olympus state that you should not use a 1.5V battery in place of
> the 1.35 V Mercury cell in an OM1, in case you "Burn out the meter". Are
> there any recorded cases of this actually happening ? I'd be very
> surprised if the meter components could not survive an 100vervoltage!
>
> Cheers
> --
> Steve Dewey

I "burned out" my meter, or it just died of natural causes, on my Olympus RC
a couple years ago. I was using, not knowing any better, the "replacement"
battery for the mercury one when it quit. RC takes the same battery as the
OM1. I'm not sure it was the higher voltage battery, but I'm not taking
chances now. I had it repaired by a camera place in Ottawa, Canada. Took
them a long time to find parts. That was before I found this list and all
the info/technicians here.
I use now, the 1.4v hearing aid battery, with a home made foam washer to
keep it centered. It supposedly drops to the same 1.2v that the mercury ones
quickly dropped to. They're cheap. Bad news is, they lasts a few months as
compared to a few years for the mercury ones.
On the other hand, I bought my OM1 from a fellow who had been using an
alkaline in it. Meter still works. I haven't pushed my luck though, so I use
1.4v in it too.
Wayne