[OM] Shooting paintings

Subject: [OM] Shooting paintings
From: "Enrique Cabrera Rochera" <qcabrera@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:52:03 +0001
Dear friends:

On monday I have to satisfy the demands of one of my most challenging
customers:
my mom. She is a semi-professional painter and usually does an exposition per
year.
So far, my dad did the photographies with the OM10 that started the saga at
home.
However, he never took it seriously enough, and the brochures were never great.
There
are a few factors that you should be aware of:

- I have no proper equipment at all. All I can count on is an OM 2s and a T20
or a
Cullman DC36 flash (more powerful, rotating head and TTL). I cannot fire both
flashes
(I know you guys have often posted how to do this, but I don't have the cables
or the
knowledge).

- My mom's paintings are quite heavily varnished, so they reflect direct light
quite
intensely. Flash shots have proven to be bad in the past.

- As far as lenses are concerned, I had thought of the 135/3.5, since it is the
only tele
prime I have. I could however use the 35-70/3.5-4.5 or the 50mm if you thought
it would
be better.

The challenge is: I was ready to shoot this with morning light, near a window.
Place the
paintings in the vertical plane, and (sorry, no tripod... and no possibility to
get one
before monday) shoot them with the OM2s with no flash and some Fuji Provia. But
remembered there are dozens of great photographers out there in the zuikoholics
anonymous list, I'm sure they'll come out with what I will be doing wrong.

Any suggestions will do. I plan to shoot a 36 for 3 or 4 paintings, so I can
try with
different combinations you may offer (i.e. would diffusing the flash light
work? I don't
have the diffusers for the flashes.... should the cover of the slide box work?
-translucid
colorless plastic- ... Spot metering? Averaged?)

Thank you for your help... my mom will surely appreciate.
--
Enrique Cabrera Jr.
Industrial Eng., MSc, PhD