Re: [OM] Some Tests and Sayonara FN

Subject: Re: [OM] Some Tests and Sayonara FN
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:45:38 -0800
I see you aren't taking one thing I would take, a monopod. I like to take a Tamron 60-300 zoom hiking and a monopod makes a big difference. I have put a simple 'tilt only' head on my Leki hiking stick. Twist and shorten to use for walking, twist and lengthen to take pictures. The little Bogen 3232 head weighs very little and I don't notice the weight.

Joel Wilcox wrote:

Hey Gang and Gangettes,

I'm about to uns*bscribe for a little while to take a trip to Utah, Arizona, and other parts not yet determined. Before leaving, I wanted to share some results of tests made over the weekend in preparation for my shoots in the Old West. They say there's Landscape out there. I've got a 1000 miles of driving to Arches NP to figure out what it is. I'm hoping I'll know it when I see it.

First, my kit:

OM-2S (dedicated to Velvia)
OM-4T (Provia F)
OM-4 (Kodachrome 25)
OMPC (Royal Gold 100)

35-80/2.8
85-250/5
Tokina 17/3.5
21/3.5
24/2.8
28/2.8
50/3.5 macro
85/2
100/2.8
135/2.8
180/2.8
300/4.5
Vivitar auto extension tubes

F280
F-type .6m cord
Stroboflip VH2000

Lowepro Compact AW
Lowepro Orion butt pack
Bogen 3221 + 3030 head

Velvia is my favorite film out west, but I'll be doubling many shots with Kodachrome wherever possible. Provia F is my favorite "do-everything" film and the F280 may get some use.

Here are the results of my tests:

1) My 21/3.5 seems to vignette just a little in the corner even naked at f8 but is OK by f11 even with a UV filter.

2) I compared my 135/2.8 with 2X-A doubler and with Viv macro-focusing doubler to the 85-250/5 @250mm. The 2X-A was better than the Viv in the sense that it was contrastier, but neither was as good as the 85-250/5. Overall sharpness was quite good with both doublers, the 2X-A being preferable, but I found both were unacceptable and I am taking neither.

My purpose in doing the test was to determine whether I would need to pack the long zoom for hikes, or whether I could take the 100 and 135 telephotos and a doubler to cover the ranges. I'll pack the zoom if the need arises.

3) Along the same lines I compared the 180/2.8 to the 100/2.8 with 2X-A. The difference in contrast was so profound that the 100/2.8-2X-A combination looked like it was a +2/3 bracket. Attribute +1/3 stop to the 100/2.8 and +1/3 to the doubler. (It's OK, the 100/2.8 is great for other things.)

4) I did not, but wish I had, compare the 135/2.8 and 180/2.8 to the 85-250/5 at the comparable focal lengths. I actually know that the 180/2.8 wins that contest, but the zoom is *very* respectable. I don't know about the 135/2.8, but I've found it to be very good.

It seems as though it should be an easy decision either to take or leave the 85-250/5, but it's not easy for me. It's strictly a tripod lens (for me). I carry my tripod when I hike (most of the time), but I don't always use it if I don't have to, which I might not with the 100 or 135. With the zoom I have to use the tripod.

The 85-250/5 is also a terribly awkward lens to pack because it is so long. Other than that, I like everything about it.

The 35-80/2.8 will probably end up being used for 900f all shots.

The extension tubes are coming along in the event that I can use the 180/2.8 for some macro work. Oddly, I'm leaving my 90/2 at home this trip. I have found I never use it out west, whereas it is a constant companion when I'm in Iowa or Hawaii. Go figure.

Sayonara for now.

Joel W.