[OM] Some Tests and Sayonara FN

Subject: [OM] Some Tests and Sayonara FN
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 19:43:35 -0600
Hey Gang and Gangettes,

I'm about to uns*bscribe for a little while to take a trip to Utah, Arizona, and other parts not yet determined. Before leaving, I wanted to share some results of tests made over the weekend in preparation for my shoots in the Old West. They say there's Landscape out there. I've got a 1000 miles of driving to Arches NP to figure out what it is. I'm hoping I'll know it when I see it.

First, my kit:

OM-2S (dedicated to Velvia)
OM-4T (Provia F)
OM-4 (Kodachrome 25)
OMPC (Royal Gold 100)

35-80/2.8
85-250/5
Tokina 17/3.5
21/3.5
24/2.8
28/2.8
50/3.5 macro
85/2
100/2.8
135/2.8
180/2.8
300/4.5
Vivitar auto extension tubes

F280
F-type .6m cord
Stroboflip VH2000

Lowepro Compact AW
Lowepro Orion butt pack
Bogen 3221 + 3030 head

Velvia is my favorite film out west, but I'll be doubling many shots with Kodachrome wherever possible. Provia F is my favorite "do-everything" film and the F280 may get some use.

Here are the results of my tests:

1) My 21/3.5 seems to vignette just a little in the corner even naked at f8 but is OK by f11 even with a UV filter.

2) I compared my 135/2.8 with 2X-A doubler and with Viv macro-focusing doubler to the 85-250/5 @250mm. The 2X-A was better than the Viv in the sense that it was contrastier, but neither was as good as the 85-250/5. Overall sharpness was quite good with both doublers, the 2X-A being preferable, but I found both were unacceptable and I am taking neither.

My purpose in doing the test was to determine whether I would need to pack the long zoom for hikes, or whether I could take the 100 and 135 telephotos and a doubler to cover the ranges. I'll pack the zoom if the need arises.

3) Along the same lines I compared the 180/2.8 to the 100/2.8 with 2X-A. The difference in contrast was so profound that the 100/2.8-2X-A combination looked like it was a +2/3 bracket. Attribute +1/3 stop to the 100/2.8 and +1/3 to the doubler. (It's OK, the 100/2.8 is great for other things.)

4) I did not, but wish I had, compare the 135/2.8 and 180/2.8 to the 85-250/5 at the comparable focal lengths. I actually know that the 180/2.8 wins that contest, but the zoom is *very* respectable. I don't know about the 135/2.8, but I've found it to be very good.

It seems as though it should be an easy decision either to take or leave the 85-250/5, but it's not easy for me. It's strictly a tripod lens (for me). I carry my tripod when I hike (most of the time), but I don't always use it if I don't have to, which I might not with the 100 or 135. With the zoom I have to use the tripod.

The 85-250/5 is also a terribly awkward lens to pack because it is so long. Other than that, I like everything about it.

The 35-80/2.8 will probably end up being used for 900f all shots.

The extension tubes are coming along in the event that I can use the 180/2.8 for some macro work. Oddly, I'm leaving my 90/2 at home this trip. I have found I never use it out west, whereas it is a constant companion when I'm in Iowa or Hawaii. Go figure.

Sayonara for now.

Joel W.