[OM] Camera Expedition

Subject: [OM] Camera Expedition
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:06:06 -0800 (PST)
I had to go to the "big city" today for a meeting, but gave
myself some time afterwards to go venture past the camera
stores.  Got to "test drive" several cameras that I'm bouncing
around in my head as possible purchases.

Olympus E10.  I looked at one before, but this time I spent time
with it as though it is a serious digital option for me.  I like
the features, capabilities and lens (especially with the
telephoto converter).  What I didn't like was the small
viewfinder image and the inability to get a good feel for the
focus and DOF.  Zoomed way out, even with the converter, it just
seemed to have no bokeh to speak of.  Also, when compared to
non-digital autofocus I found that the lack of manual override
of the autofocus (while in autofocus) to be slightly archaic.  I
guess I'm just too used to my OMs and fine Zuikos.  But the real
clincher came through using it and holding it for a while.  It
was beginning to grow on me, and the professional features and
capabilities were definitely convincing me.  Then my hand went
numb.  Blast it!  The grip thickness/shape aggrivated the CTS
just like the EOS cameras do.  If it was only a hair thinner.
Anyway, I came, saw, drooled, considered and then felt defeated
because of this one ergonomic failing.  Oh well.

I then went over and did some comparisons of the medium format
cameras.  Checked out a 'blad.  Waist-level finder really is
gut-wrenching aweful (personal opinion), but did like it.  For a
square block, it is pretty easy to hold and shoot.  Don't have
to worry about verticals.  It is amazing how lightweight and
small the 'blad is.

Next came a Bronica (square format) that had a nice prism finder
and winder grip on it.  Instantly I knew that I'd have problems.
 The focusing is backwards.  Probably matches Nikons or
something, but everything else I looked at matches the Zuikos.
Camera was OK, but just didn't feel right.

Mamiya 645.  Old one.  Used to have one in the past.  I'm
reminded why I sold it.  Without a winder-grip it is very
uncomfortable to handhold.  Viewfinder is dark and not as easy
to focus.  Compared to newer camera designs it is quite dated.
Really want interchangeable backs.  Moved along.

Mamiya 645AFD.  Nice.  Fast autofocus, accurate, decent all
around camera.  Wouldn't mind owning one.  Viewfinder is a bit
wonky in the center and the camera looks like a bulldog with a
facelift.  Felt pretty good in the hands and didn't bother my
wrist.

Contax 645AF.  Think OM-4Ti on steroids.  I absolutley love this
camera, but the cost is prohibitive.  We'll see.  The more time
I spend with the camera the more I like it.  Didn't bother my
wrists.  Viewfinder is excellent in every way.  The standard
"kit" is only $200 higher than the Mamiya 645AFD.  Worth at
least twice that.

Conclusions?  None.  Just that the more I look, the more I
appreciate the fine engineering of the OM system.  The OM system
really is ergonomically one of the finest camera systems this
world will ever see.  Too bad we can't find that in medium
format.

AG-Schnozz