Re: [OM] Recovering blacked out "Olympus"?

Subject: Re: [OM] Recovering blacked out "Olympus"?
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:30:36 -0600 (CST)

> Sorry, is US government not allow direct import of goods which do not
> go through the authorized distributor? There is no such law in Hong
> Kong, only problem is no warranty provided.
>
> C.H.Ling

The only problem camera brand for the US that I know of right now
is Mamiya. The US distributor owns the US rights to the name
"Mamiya", rather than the Japanese camera company. They charge a
very large markup and enforce their rights as sole importer.
Individuals still have the right to bring in items purchased abroad
for personal use, rather than resale, but I think that's limited to
one of each item per year. There are reports that persons bringing
in larger quantities have been required to obliterate the
trademarks.  I think that many years ago some other US distributors
had similar policies (Ehrenreich with Nikon), but nowadays these
brands are freely imported for retail sale (but without official
warranty), for example by B&H, which for many years has been, for
all practical purposes, Olympus's only real OM dealer.

Paul