RE: [OM] Seller to watch on eBay

Subject: RE: [OM] Seller to watch on eBay
From: Scott Gomez <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:42:01 -0800
Most Olympus lenses can ship at the two pound rate, and have more than
sufficient packing, four pounds is rather stretching it, I'd say. The
Priority Mail boxes are free from the PO. Delivery confirmation (but not
signature confirmation) can be free also, if you set it up on-line. I figure
there's a good $5.00 worth of padding in the shipping charge this seller
wants for most Oly lenses.

I believe the seller took a semi-educated guess at what was the "worst case"
and then made it the universal shipping charge to be applied. Further, by
restricting shipments to the USA, no effort has to be made to determine any
other shipping prices. Most likely simply a seller who doesn't want to
hassle with anything other than the simplest case regarding shipping, and
knows full well that at the flat rate being charged, they've built in a
small, steady "extra profit".

Based on feedback and the number of auctions, many people haven't been
worried about it.

---
Scott Gomez