Re: [OM] A very belated intro to the list

Subject: Re: [OM] A very belated intro to the list
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 23:52:04 -0500
At 21:47 3/19/02, Steve Dropkin wrote:
The only thing I don't like is that the equipment leaves few excuses for bad pictures -- it _has _ to be me! But now I understand what my grandfather enjoyed about photography. I wish he still were around to see this.

I wish my father were still around to see some of mine. He would realize some of what he tried to teach me about photography many years ago actually got "recorded" but never used much until many years later.

Three excellent books:

(a) _How_to_Take_Great_Photographs_With_Any_Camera_
    Jerry Hughes; Phillip Lane Publishing, Dallas, TX; 1992-1999
    ISBN:  0-9634348-9-6
    Dirt cheap at any decent size bookstore; centers mostly on composition.
    The *best* book I've seen for beginners with many excellent examples.

(b) _The_Complete_Photographer_
    Andreas Feininger; Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ; 4th Printing 1968
    Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 65-12017
    Out of print, but can be found used, or at a large library.
    Covers artistic and technical methods.
    Original published in 1965; which printing isn't that important.

(c) _The_Camera_
    Ansel Adams; Little, Brown and Company, Boston, MA; 1980
    ISBN: 0-812-1092-0 (HC) or 0-812-2184-1 (PB)
    Even the paperback is well bound with high quality paper.
    This is the first volume of a classic trilogy.
    It's one of *the* definitive books about camera bodies, lenses,
    basic optical theory, and technical aspects of how to use them.

-- John