[OM] [OM} A very belated intro to the list

Subject: [OM] [OM} A very belated intro to the list
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 20:47:06 -0600
It has been pointed out that not introducing oneself is a breach of list etiquette. It's time for me to correct _my_ breach of this point of etiquette. After lurking on this list and posting only a few times over the last year or so, I guess late is better than never. My apologies ... (and apologies for the length of this autointroduction!)

My name is Steve Dropkin. I live in St. Paul, Minnesota, and have lived here and nearby for almost 18 years. I have learned more about the chemistry of snow than I ever thought possible. Before that, I spent three years in Ag-Schnozz' neck of the woods (Iowa), graduated from Iowa State University with a degree in journalism (no, I wasn't the photographer). Before that, I lived on Long Island, New York, in a suburb of New York City.

I'm a late Baby Boomer chronologically and pure Gen X in spirit. I'm no longer married; I have no children or pets. I work at a large multinational manufacturing company whose simple name (hint!) would be recognized by everyone on the list, leading a computer system development and support staff. I use a Macintosh, drive a diesel-engined car (pretty rare in the U.S.), and am looking forward to getting my model railroad out of storage once I'm in a house with some room to spare.

I'm relatively new to "serious" photography. I've always liked taking pictures with simple cameras, but I always shied away from "photography," remembering my grandfather (a Yashicolic?) gathering us kids for pictures and then fiddling "forever" with his manual SLR. _That_ didn't seem like fun to me.

My introduction to the OM world came by accident (if you believe in such things). I was scouting thrift stores for a turntable on which to play "LPs" when I came across an SLR that seemed to be in good shape, except that the back door wouldn't stay closed. I didn't know anything about SLRs, but I'd heard of Olympus, so I figured it was worth risking $10 and I bought it. One CLA (and replaced door) later, I had a clean OM-1MD with a 50/1.8 lens and a hard leather case. A couple of lenses (a 24/2.8 and a 135/3.5) and accessories, and that's my kit. I love taking pictures with this camera. It's a joy to operate and I appreciate that I have to _think_ instead of just pressing the shutter. The only thing I don't like is that the equipment leaves few excuses for bad pictures -- it _has _ to be me! But now I understand what my grandfather enjoyed about photography. I wish he still were around to see this.

I'm working on a second body (waiting for an OM-PC to come back from Camtech) and am still cruising thrift stores for "finds" (haven't found anything like the OM-1). I've picked up a 35SP that is one of my "street" cameras; I have a Nik*n LSA35F for grab shots. I'm still learning about taking pictures (though I've learned a _ton_ just from reading this list) and wish I could make more time to take pictures and teach myself.

I'm in the process of redoing my Web page, and, when it's done, I'll put some pictures up there for review and discussion. I probably will remain an infrequent contributor -- too many demands for "OMoney" right now and not enough experience to do much troubleshooting. But I'll get there!