Re: [OM] HTML

Subject: Re: [OM] HTML
From: Stuart Landrum <stulandrum@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:30:52 -0500
Cc: "'Olympus List'" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Bill,

Is it possible your tech support is in denial?  Below is the html code from
your email, stripped of headers for simplicity.  (I "mangled" the html by
removing all the leading "<" brackets to be sure you can see it.)  What looks
interesting is the CONTENT="text/html; and the "Generator MS Exchange Server"
info.  AFAIK, it's not a smoking gun, it's just a clue.

If your email client is truly set to send plain text, then IMHO it is your
server that's adding the html.  Is it possible for you to send email via
another SMTP server as a test?

However, I'm not sure this should be your problem in the first place.  If the
list chooses to ban html I think it should be done at the list server, as
someone else suggested.  Or is it enough to just discourage html and endure the
few html posts that slip through?  I think the faq is a good idea.

Cheers!
Stuart
(new member, about a week; 2x OM-2s, OM-10, ~6x Zuiko's.)

DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">

HEAD>
META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=US-ASCII">
META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2654.45">
TITLE>HTML/TITLE>
/HEAD>
BODY>

P>FONT SIZE=2>Well after an afternoon of fun with my tech support (and list
member David Mitchell..thanks!!! here is what I have to report.&nbsp; All mail
I have sent to the Olympus list, according to my tech support, has been in
plain text.&nbsp; They archive sent mail for 3 months.&nbsp; Every piece was
apparently checked.&nbsp; I have also sent mail from my service here to others
operating Linux and other non Microsoft-based products with success.&nbsp; So I
have no idea where the HTML some of you are receiving.&nbsp; I certainly hope
HTML users will not be booted off, as I would appear that there may be issues
others may be experiencing that have nothing to do with HTML.&nbsp; Maybe the
list server has some issues?&nbsp; In any case, I will try to reduce my
postings but there is not alot I can do.&nbsp; It was an interesting afternoon
though..better than work./FONT></P>

P>FONT SIZE=2>-Bill/FONT>
/P>

/BODY>